Ostrov Brač - Povlja
Povlja; 393 inhabitants
POVLJA (Povja), a village in the cove bearing the same name, on the north-eastern coast of the island Brac; population 393. Chief occupations are farming, growing of vines and olives, fishing and tourism. The surrounding coves (Travna, Smokvica, Ticja Luka, Tatinja, etc.) feature nice beaches. Povlja is located on the regional road.
The remains from the early Christian period include parts of a basilica (5th-6th c.), which has been partly preserved up to the roof; very prominent is the apse part with a triforium. The octagonal baptistery with a cupola (the only one preserved in Croatia) is today an integral part of the parish church; the church also features partly preserved frescoes from the same period. In the 12th century, the baptistery was converted into a church by the Benedictines and in the 18th and the 19th centuries naves and chapels were added to it. The remains of the Benedictine church include the lintel (now kept at the Museum of Croatian Archaeological Monuments in Split) with an inscription by Master Radonja from the 12th century, as well as the Povlja Charter, written in Western Cyrillic script, from 1250 (the oldest charter written in that script in Croatia). Next to the church are the parts of the monastery and defence towers, restored in 1551 and 1559.
Povlja is surrounded by numerous nice coves as nowhere else on the island of Brac. The Povlja bay is also a very safe harbour for boaters. The remains of the early Christian basilica are a true rarity. Athletes and recreation enthusiasts may enjoy football and tennis, as well as water sports, swimming, yachting and windsurfing.