Island Brac - Splitska
Splitska is a small village on the island called Brac in Croatia. Brac is one of the most beautiful among the central Dalmatian islands.
There are about twenty settlements on the island with characteristic features of the Mediterranean little towns, and Splitska is one of them.
It has everything to ensure you a great holidays. (restaurants, shops, tennis courts, post office… )
Splitska is just 6 km. away from the main town on Brac called Supetar and 25 km. from Brac airport. It is easy accessible by car and it’s daily connected with Supetar by bus.
In summer time there's also a posibility of transport by a small ship which sails from Split directly to Splitska.
The village got it’s name after Split (the second biggest city in Croatia 200.000 inhabitants ) and was first mentioned in the year 1577, when Mihajlo Cernic ( Cerineo ) from Skrip in village build small castle.
History of Splitska
The village was settled by Romans, when they came on Brac to mine stones which were used to build the Diocletian Palace and many other fabulous buildings throughout european metropolises.
First quarry is just a few hundred meters from the main road which is passing Splitska.
First inhabitants in Splitska were from Skrip ( village above Splitska ). When they settled in Splitska they built a church called Sv. Marija ( St. Mary ).
In the 13 - then century village was abandoned, because inhabitants were threatened by pirates from Omis. This danger stopped in the year 1444, which led people to settle it again.